1. Director of the film "Death in Venice"
10. In tiddlywinks, to cover and immobilise an opponent's wink with one's own
11. State capital of Arkansas
14. Designation for an author whose name is unknown or not stated
15. Of or pertaining to the nose
16. Lowest series of rocks of the Jurassic system
17. Japanese noodles made from buckwheat flour
19. 1988 Olympic Games venue
21. Author of "The Essays of Elia"
24. A ceremonial Maori dance accompanied by chanting
25. In Hinduism, the final release of the soul from a cycle of incarnations
27. German bacteriologist who first isolated the tubercle bacillus
28. US state known as the Gem State
29. Royal Navy rank equivalent to the army rank of Major General
31. Novel for which Anita Brookner won the Booker Prize in 1984
32. A prehistoric people inhabiting part of Mexico c1200-100 BC
33. The third president of the United States
2. Members of an Augustinian order of nuns founded by St .Angela in 1535
3. Poet who wrote "A Shropshire Lad"
4. Shaped like a turnip
5. Middle name of the American writer Henry Miller
6. Yellowish Japanese pottery with gilding and enamel
7. Chief port and largest industrial centre of Norway
8. Form of iambic verse, as in Dante's "Divina Commedia"
9. Aviation casualty of Greek mythology
18. In Eastern countires, a gratuity or tip
20. A hypothetical parent language from which actual languages or dialects are derived
22. Author of "The Decameron"
23. A largely insectivorous southern African quadruped, Proteles cristatus, related to the hyenas
24. River of New York City
26. An eyelike spot, as on some feathers, butterflies' wings, etc.
27. The grey or black furry fleece of young lambs from the Crimean area
30. Ancient region of the Middle East whose capital was Petra
Copyright © 2016 Best for Puzzles